This week marks the beginning of March, and with the new month comes the realization that we are well into 2017. There are a lot of months left in the year but it’s important to take stock of our progress towards the goals we set at the end of 2016. No time like the present to evaluate the plans we’ve made and how to go about executing them!
A few points to consider that have helped me so far:
- What do you want your 2017 to be or look like? Has that vision changed since January 1? This is an important question. Give yourself the opportunity to dream big and set the bar high. Finish that degree or masters class, lose that 10 to 15 pounds, practice that second language. Then, if you haven’t already, begin to strategize. And if you have, reevaluate that strategy. Has it been useful?
- Revisit the SMART goals you set this year and mark your progress towards them (and if you didn’t have any, make some now). Remember, the goals must be specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time bound (SMART). Maybe the goals you set a couple of months ago are less realistic now. Maybe they may take more time to achieve then initially estimated. There’s nothing wrong with that, just keep track of them!
- Continue to share your goals and plans with a friend who can hold you accountable. Update this friend on the progress of each set goal and ask for help if you have too. This accountability maintains the pattern for your 2017 and keeps you on your toes.
- If you haven’t already, get a mentor or an expert in an area you desire to grow in and learn as much as you can from them. Mentors challenge us to grow because growth is a personal decision and no one can grow on another’s behalf.
- Surround yourself with ambitious people. Friends who are working towards something greater than themselves. This shouldn’t breed unhealthy competition, it should encourage you to desire more for yourself and to reach for it.
- Not quite where you thought you would be at the moment? Don’t feel sorry for yourself. You have what it takes to achieve your goals (plus you still have a bit of time!). Go forth and walk in your purpose. You are brilliant, beautiful and an achiever, go ahead and make things happen for you.
- (Re)prioritize – because this helps you pay attention to things that matter the most. It also helps you use your time more efficiently.
- Take time to have fun. Much needed breaks and fun activities with people you love, or on your own, can help you stay focused.
Hope this helps! And remember, you are in charge of your growth. Do it on your own terms.