Disney Studios created a big-budget movie adaptation of the book ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ by Madeleine L’Engle (1962).
Although the book was written for age 7 and above, we can all learn a lesson or two.
- The main protagonist, Meg Murry (played by Storm Reid), searches for answers to her father’s disappearance. Her character shows that girls can ace science and math. Education is important for the all-round development of a girl-child; and Meg being good at science and math; (both are subjects that bring about the solutions to problems in our world) teaches us that we should encourage girls to venture into this line of study.
- It validates the feelings of those who have felt different, secluded, or struggled with loss: it is human to feel out of place in a new environment. The book depicts the importance of strong friendships. And Meg finally finds closure for her loss.
- It celebrates bravery and love. Meg is bravely embarks on a quest to find her father, and it is a great sign of love for family.
I highlighted these lessons because of the girl power message in this book (and movie).
You are probably wondering how the title of the post relates to the lessons? The main reason for this post is one of the songs from the movie’s soundtrack – Flower of the universe by Sade (British music band fronted by Nigerian-British lead singer Sade Adu) .
This song is Sade’s first new music since their sixth album in 2010.
The director of the movie (Ava DuVernay) was elated she (Sade) responded to her request to feature in the soundtrack. Now, we can learn a lesson or two from this:
- Ava didn’t think Sade would honour her request, but that didn’t stop her from asking. My grandma used to say (although in our native language and paraphrased) ‘Ask, the worst answer you’ll get is No but you asked’.
- Sade’s comeback track is every shade of inspiring; like I mentioned earlier, they made a comeback after 8 years. You may ‘go off the radar’ for a while, but always make sure you rise up and shine like the star that you truly are.
My favourite line of the song is:
‘…They want to know its true there’s someone in the world lovely as you…’
You flower of the universe
You are lovely,