At the top of each year, I pull together my favorite Bible verses to encourage myself along my journey as a woman. As we are living our lives, situations will arise where we will feel frustrated, pushed, defeated and our faith will be tested. It is in those times that religious texts can encourage us when we need it. It is easy to become too busy or too tired to pray, but never forget that that is where our power comes from. These verses keep me grounded in the face of adversity. I believe God wants us all to live a good life. Here are 10 Bible verses every woman needs for 2014.
- Proverbs 31:26 “She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.” When things happen to us, we are sometimes quick to lash out and use every unkind word we know to prove our point or to be heard, but the best strategy is to always respond with wisdom and kindness!
- James 1:2-4 “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” We sometimes take our trials as punishment when they are not. All of our trials are here to teach us and mold us into a better person. We should go through our trials with joy, knowing that it will pass and that we will become better women as a result.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” Can you think of a time when something happen that you just did not understand: that perfect relationship that suddenly ended, that interview you prepared so well for and did not get a job, that friend who stabbed you in your back? To only realize years later that it was God saving you from more hurt, pain and disappointment. God truly does work all things for the ultimate good. Have faith and believe in Him!
- Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” God is with us all the time, He has been with us since the beginning; Armed with this knowledge, fear (False Evidence Appearing Real) cannot be present in our hearts and minds.
- John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” God can and will redeem your broken heart. Have faith you will feel His peace within you again soon.
- Psalm 18:32-36 “It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great. You broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn.” He is your strength!
- Philippians 4:6-7 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Prayer is powerful!
- Mark 11:23 “Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him.” Believe in yourself and know that God will guide you in your darkest hours.
- Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Let your heart break and He will care for you, helping you to find the good in any terrible situation.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” In all moments, happy or sad: REJOICE!
What is your favorite bible or any other religious verse(s) you rely on the most when faced with adversity?